Sikkens Proluxe 23 Plus is a finish coating for use over Cetol 1 Primary coat RE on exterior logs,. PPG Proluxe 23 Top Coat Re wood finish enhances wood grain with rich color and signature matched to 1 Primary Coat Re.
Preffered PPG dealer for Sikkens Proluxe stain products
All Sikkens Proluxe colors in stock and ships same day 8-5 EST
Previously know as Sikkens Cetol 23 Plus Finish. Akzo Nobel (Manufacturer of Sikkens) sold their North American Architectural Coatings division to PPG
Since 2017, The PPG ProLuxe product line will contain all of the same Sikkens-ProLuxe products and formulas, but will now showcase the updated PPG ProLuxe name and new packaging featuring the PPG logo and removal of the Sikkens name and will be named PPG Proluxe 23 Top Coat RE, a high solids Alkyd with a transparent satin Finish.
Performance highlights of PPG 23 Topcoat
- 2 coat application in 3 coat system with Cetol 1 Primary coat
- Resilient alkyd formula resists cracking and peeling, wears evenly
- Provides a Mildew-Resistant Wood Stain Finish
- Base coat application in a 3-coat wood stain system with 23 Top Coat RE
- Powerful UV absorbers protect color and wood substrate
- Water repellent
- Excellent block resistance
- An alternative to Door & Window for additional color options
- An alternative to Log & Siding for additional color options
- Can be used on Garage doors, entrance doors and window trim
- Once desired color is achieved, the 3rd coat can be Cetol Maintenance for a clear coat
Wood peckers or insects? Then use Walla Walla Bug juice additive. Click here
Preparation Procedures for New, Weathered and Uncoated Wood:
The best method to prepare vertical wood surfaces is to sand with 80 – 120 grit sandpaper. However, the following preparation may be used as an alternate to sanding: Spray the surface with clean water, wetting the wood.
- Recommend cleaning the surface with a deck cleaner or stripper
- Apply this solution generously to the wood with a garden pump sprayer.
- Let the solution sit on the wood for 15 – 20 minutes.
- During this period, scrub the surface with a hard bristle brush to help remove mill glaze and/or weathering.
- Do not let the solution dry on the wood.
- Keep it wet as your are working. Do your best to work on the sides opposite of the sun.
- Power wash the cleaning solution from the wood with clean water.
To prevent damaging the wood, do not exceed 500 PSI. The nozzle must be a maximum of one (1) foot from the surface for full effectiveness. Let the surface dry for three (3) days before application (i.e. the moisture content is below 18%).
Weathered gray wood, or wood affected with blue fungi or rust from nails may be treated, after cleaning with Sasho CPR Log cleaner and Brightener. After treatment, allow surface to dry for three (3) days. Fill all joints, cracks, and nail holes with a high quality Conceal color matching caulk and let cure prior to applying the coating system. Refer to caulk/filler manufacturer for proper application.
Pervious log homes with the Sikkens Cetol system may need to be corn blasted to remove Sikkens film forming stain.
Application for Pine, Spruce, Cedar and other logs Sikkens 23 Plus Topcoat
Standard Application Procedure: It is always recommended to perform a three (3) coat color and sheen test on a sample of the wood. Color can vary with application, porosity and type of wood. Intermix batches to ensure color consistency. After preparation apply three (3) coats of Proluxe Cetol 1 and Cetol 23 plus assuring thorough dry time (minimum 24 hours) between coats.
- If possible, back prime with the first coat. During application, saturate all end grains, nail holes, cavities, and cracks in the wood with Sashco Log Builder or Conceal color matching caulk to Sikkens Log and Siding colors.
- Brush on a liberal coat and maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks. Recommended natural bristle brush with a handle where a pole can be inserted for ease of use.
- Brush in the direction of the wood grain starting at one end of the board or log and continuing to the other end of the board or log.
- The first coat of any Cetol system should be applied from the bottom up to avoid drips which may streak on the surface below.
- Follow recommended maintenance procedures and schedule.
- Cetol Log & Siding is compatible over an existing Cetol 1 and Cetol 23 Plus system. The system needs UV light to cure properly.
- The side that gets the least sun – You can use Cetol Maintenance Clear
The absence of UV light will significantly slow the drying process.
Wood peckers and insects? Add Walla Walla Bug juice to the stain.
Do not apply any Sikkens Cetol system over a fresh, borate-treated wood surface.
Allow the borates to diffuse into the wood cells by allowing a six (6) month exposure time (12 months for green logs) before application of Cetol Primary 1 23plus. To prevent borates from leaching out of the exterior surface, we recommend the application of Sikkens Log Pre-Treatment over the borate treatment. Before the application of Sikkens Log Pre-Treatment, allow the borate treatment to dry for three (3) good, sunny days. Just prior to the application of the appropriate Cetol system, the log surface must be cleaned thoroughly according to the Sikkens preparation procedures.
When borate treatments are applied, it is always advised to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. Maintenance Procedure and Schedule: Proper maintenance starts with visual inspection. A time-frame of two (2) – three (3) years on the south and west exposures and three (3) – four (4) years on the north and east exposures can be used as a general guideline. However, as weathering, exposure conditions, altitude, and applications can vary, maintenance may be needed sooner and should be performed when visually necessary, regardless of timeframe.
Sikkens Proluxe 23 Plus Log Application Procedure:
Kiln-dried or Air Dried Logs: It is always recommended to perform a two (2) coat color and sheen test on a sample of the wood. Color can vary with application, porosity and type of wood. Generally, the moisture content of these logs is below 18%. However, some logs may have a moisture content higher than 18%. Therefore, it is recommended to apply Sikkens Log Pre-Treatment and then allow a six (6) month drying period before applying Cetol 1 23plus system. Follow preparation procedure before applying first coat of Cetol 1.
During application, saturate all end grains, nail holes, cavities, and cracks in the wood. Brush on a liberal coat and maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks. Brush in the direction of the wood grain starting at one end of the board or log and continuing to the other end of the board or log.
PPG 23 Top-Coat
The first coat of any Cetol system should be applied from the bottom up to avoid drips which may streak on the surface below. Follow recommended maintenance procedures and schedule. Green, Wet, or Treated Logs: It is always specifcally recommended to perform a three (3) coat color and sheen test on a sample of the wood. Color can vary with application, porosity and type of wood. Generally, these logs have a moisture content greater than 18%. Therefore, it is recommended to apply Sikkens Log Pre-Treatment and allow a one (1) year drying period before applying Cetol 1 23 plus.
Follow preparation procedure before applying first coat of Cetol Primary 1. During application, saturate all end grains, nail holes, cavities, and cracks in the wood. Lastly, brush on a liberal coat and maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks. Brush in the direction of the wood grain starting at one end of the board or log and continuing to the other end of the board or log
Clean surface before using Sikkens Proluxe 23 plus
Before application of a maintenance coat, prepare the surface using the previously mentioned cleaning solution but reduce the amount to two (2) ounces of 100% powdered Tri-Sodium Phosphate or phosphate-free substitute. Then, let the surface dry three (3) days after power washing. Apply one (1) coat of Cetol 1 Primary or Cetol Maintenance for a clear coat
We cannot ship Proluxe 23+ Top Coat to these Counties in California:
ALAMEDA, CONTRA COSTA, EL DORADO, FRESNO, IMPERIAL, KERN, KINGS, L.A., MADERA, MARIN, MERCED, MONTEREY, NAPA, ORANGE, PLACER, RIVERSIDE, SACRAMENTO, SAN BENITO, SAN BERNARDINO, SAN DIEGO, SAN FRANCISCO, SAN JOAQUIN, SAM MATEO, SANTA BARBARA, SANTA CLARA, SANTA CRUZ, SOLANO, STANISLAUS, SUTTER, TULARE, VENTURA, YOLO and YUBA
Where to buy Sikkens Proluxe 23 Plus
APPLICATION: CAUTION: Surfaces are slippery when wet. Use caution when walking on wet surfaces during application. Test wood for absorbency by sprinkling water on the surface – if water is absorbed within 30 seconds – 2 minutes, depending on climate, the surface is ready for finishing. If water is not absorbed, wait 30 days and re-test.
- Before starting, test your color choice on a small area, applying all coats required.
- Buy sufficient product for the whole job and intermix all product together before starting to avoid color variance.
- Stir thoroughly before and periodically during application.
- Do not thin.
- Apply when air and surface temperature is between 50° F (10° C) – 90° F (32° C).
- Do not apply in direct sunlight, if rain, snow, heavy dew or low temperatures below 40° F (4° C) are expected within 48 hours.
- Brushing is the preferred method of application, using a natural bristle brush, If applied by roller or airless sprayer, back brush immediately to ensure penetration and to avoid an uneven finish. For airless spray, use a .011”-.015” tip at 700 – 800 psi, adjust pressure as needed.
- Apply one even coat of 1 Primary Coat RE Wood Finish, avoiding heavy application.
- Allow to dry a minimum of 24 hours.
- Must be top coated with two coats of 23 Top Coat RE, following label application directions.
- Apply in the direction of the grain.
- To avoid lap marks, start at one edge and follow through to the end of each board maintaining a wet edge.
- Coat all end grains and then the back of all boards if possible.
- Since outdoor furniture and fences are considered to be in a high moisture environment two coats of 1 Primary RE Wood Finish would be your best method of application.
Drying Time of Sikkens Proluxe 23 Plus
- Typically dries to touch in approximately 12 hours. Generally dries to recoat in 24 hours additional coat may increase these times. Low temperature, high humidity, thick films or poor ventilation will increase these times. Avoid heavy abrasions immediately following application.
Coverage of PPG 23 Topcoat
- Overall on rough and weathered surfaces, 200-300 sq ft/gallon (5-7 m2/L).
- Overall on smooth surfaces or hardwoods, 250-350 sq ft/gallon (6-9 m2/L).
- Actual coverage of Proluxe may vary
Cleanup of Proluxe 23 Topcoat
- Clean tools immediately with mineral spirits or paint thinner.
- Clean spills with a cloth
Shelf Life of Sikkens Proluxe 23 Plus
- PPG Sikkens Primary 1 coat Re unopened generally has a shelf life of 5 years. If opened a few months, unless it is poured into a metal container with little or no air in it. Then, it will last for up to a few years.
Where to buy Sikkens Proluxe stain
PPG Primary 1 coat Re unopened has a shelf life of 5 years. If opened a few months, unless it is poured into a metal container with little or no air in it. It will last for up to a few year then.
PPG Primary 1 Coat Re:
SIK43005 NATURAL OAK 005
SIK43009 DARK OAK 009
SIK43072 BUTTERNUT 072
SIK43077 CEDAR 077
SIK43078 NATURL 078
SIK43085 TEAK 085
Searching for: Best log home stain | Sikkens log and siding | Is Proluxe the same as Sikkens | Sikkens dealers near me | Lowest price on Sikkens | Teak 085 | Sikkens stain reviews | Sikkens Products | Where to buy Sikkens Proluxe stain | Sikkens stain reviews | Is Sikkens stain good | Sikkens clear coat | Cetol filter 7 | Recoating Sikkens | Log rot and maintenance | Where to buy Sikkens in Canada| What is Sikkens called now | Canada |