Penofin Hardwood Stain
Wood stain especially formulated to penetrate dense hardwoods
Added ultraviolet protection
Transparent natural tone allows the beauty of wood to be seen
Advanced mildew protection
Not a surface film that will crack, bubble, or peel
Oil based with paint thinner cleanup
Only Penofin’s Hardwood wood stain can penetrate dense hardwoods that need nourishing and stabilizing. This unique formula penetrates deep into the wood fibers and does not create a surface film. Unlike high-solid wood stains that simply coat the surface, Penofin’s Hardwood Finish, using sustainably harvested Brazilian Rosewood Oil, is the choice of wood experts who know that wood penetration is key to longevity and beauty. Penofin allows wood to breathe, important in working with exotic hardwoods such as mahogany, teak, Ipe, Brazillian Redwood, and many other species. Only Penofin Penetrating Oil Finish can meet the needs of hardwood in fiber protection, penetration, stabilizing, and nourishing.
Hardwoods – 400-500 sq ft
Softwoods – 200-250 sq ft
Dries to Touch in 4 Hours
Natural Oil Beauty
Preserves and Protects
Extends Life of Wood
Superior Mildew Protection
99% UV Protection
VOC< 550,250 or 100 g/l Based on Local Regulations
VOC Compliant Nation Wide
Recommended for exterior use
- Use Woodrich Stripper to remove any non-Penofin stain. If wood is gray use Woodrich Brightener to restore the wood’s original appearance.
- SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING. DO NOT add thinning or blending agents.
- Apply Penofin to a clean dry surface. Surface must be free of dirt and sawdust build-up. Do not apply when wood is hot to the touch. Minimum temperature is 45 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush on, use a stain pad, or spray on using a pump up sprayer equipped with plastic tip.
- To allow for maximum penetration wait 30 minutes, then use a nap-free shop cloth and wipe the entire surface, removing excess product.
- Surface will be dry to the touch in three hours, and ready for use in 12 hours.
- When using the one-coat formula, the application is now complete.
- Do not apply wet-on-wet.
- If using the two-coat formula, wait a minimum of three hours and apply a light second coat and again wipe any excess from the entire application area after 30 minutes.
Product Performance Warranty
PENOFIN® exterior finishes are warranted to perform when applied to wood surfaces according to label instructions. For Blue Label Penofin expect 2 – 5 years on vertical surfaces, 1 – 2 years on horizontal surfaces depending on use and weather exposure. We recommend preserving the beauty of your horizontal surfaces by staining every 9 – 24 months.
- It is best to test PENOFIN on your wood to determine the desired color. The shade can be affected by the type of wood, the manner applied, the length of time the oil is left on, and by the number of coats. If the desired color is attained with one coat of a pigmented formula, the wet-sand process may be done with PENOFIN Natural. We have wet samples for you to test on your type of wood.
- When you use Penofin, maintenance is a snap. Because Penofin is a low-solid product, there is no stripping or sanding necessary. Simply wash the surface with water and a mild detergent. Allow your wood surface to dry completely, approximately 48 hours before application.
- Follow the application methods listed on the previous page for a fresh and beautiful wood surface.
Coverage depends on application method, texture, and moisture content of wood. Coverage is less on rough surfaces, more on smooth surfaces. Average coverage is 175-300 sq. ft. per gallon.
- Penofin is an oil-based product. Clean brushes and other application materials with mineral spirits or paint thinner.
- AVOID SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION of oily rags. Soak all used cloths in a covered metal bucket of water, ensuring the cloths are completely covered with water. Cover until they can be properly disposed at your local hazardous materials drop-off.
Use a brush or sprayer. Brushing gives best results. Brush thoroughly and back brush Penofin into the wood leaving no excess. Wipe entire surface after 20-30 minutes with a nap-free cloth. Do not allow film to develop on wood surface. Apply when there is no chance of rain during the process or during the twelve-hour drying time. If rain occurs spots may develop on wood surfaces. Do not apply in direct hot sun! A minimum air temperature of 45° is required during application and drying time.
Repeat this application within 3-6 months and again within 10-12 months. Over time the wood fibers will become fully protected and maintenance will become less frequent. Product should be applied more often to horizontal areas and also areas with high ultra-violet exposure or heavy traffic. Store all oily cloths in water in a metal bucket until properly disposed.
400 square feet per gallon.
- When you use Penofin maintenance is a snap. Because Penofin is a low-solid product, there is no stripping or sanding necessary. Simply wash the surface with water and a mild detergent. Allow wood surface to dry completely, approximately 48 hours.
- Follow the application methods listed on the previous page for a fresh and beautiful wood surface
Trouble-Shooting A Sticky-Tacky Surface
Avoid overapplication by following the instructions we just covered. In the event of an overapplication, use the following methods to resolve.
To Remove Excess
- Allow Penofin to dry for seven days.
- Use Penofin Protech Cleaner and scrub the surface with a nylon or natural bristle brush. Do not use metal brushes.
- You may also use Penofin Wood Stripper for tough jobs.
- Allow the surface to dry for 48 hours before reapplying
CAUTION COMBUSTIBLE! Keep this product away from heat, open flame, and sparks. Avoid prolonged contact with skin and breathing vapor or spray mist. Use only with adequate ventilation. Do not take internally. Shelf life is limited once factory seal is broken; secure lid tightly after use. Avoid spontaneous combustion – make sure all rags and brushes are soaked in water, stored in an airtight container, or otherwise disposed of safely.
KEEP THIS AND ALL PENOFIN PRODUCTS OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.