Sikkens Proluxe. The same great Sikkens formula you know and trust, slightly different labels.
The high quality formula from Akzo Nobel that is synonymous with the Sikkens name is exactly the same as before. Only the name is changing in North America. You can be confident that the product is the same in the can regardless of whether the name is Sikkens or ProLuxe . Please click here or here for further information from PPG on this change.
Sikkens Cetol 1 visualization tool for log homes-Click here
You can model what your home would look like with Proluxe Sikkens Cetol finishes using the Sikkens “Color Your Home” website. Colors render differently on different computers and may not precisely match the color of your delivered stain.
You can use the visualization tool to help you choose a color for your home. We also have 1/4 pint sample cans available for you to try the stain on your wood for the exact color.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Log and Siding is not permitted for use in the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) which includes all or part of the following counties of California. Contact us on shipping product.
- Los Angeles
- San Bernardino
Sikkens Cetol 1 Re is a translucent exterior wood finish that separates wood from the elements with durable surface barrier, which repels water, while allowing excess moisture to escape. It penetrates deep into the wood sealing and protecting it. Cetol 1 RE remains firmly attached to the wood and provides a perfect surface to accept the next layer of protection, Cetol 23 Re Plus. Recommended uses: Log homes, exterior wood entrance doors, garage doors and window frames, as well as fiberglass doors. Sikkens Cetol RE 1 may be used on the interior side of exterior doors and windows, but will take longer to dry. Cetol 1 RE is a premium, translucent exterior wood basecoat to be used with Cetol 23 Plus RE. Its superior alkyd formulation offers excellent penetration and adhesion to vertical wood surfaces.
- Type Translucent film forming alkyd/oil based stain
- Sheen Satin
- Description Premium translucent exterior wood basecoat to be used with Cetol 23 Plus RE. Can also be used alone or with other products.
- Usage Siding, Trim, Entrance Doors, Garage Doors, Windows, Log Homes, Outdoor Furniture, Fences
- Features Superior UV Protection, Highly Transparent, Water Repellent, Weather Resistant, Flexible, Breathable
- Technology Alkyd Oil, New Wave technology
- Application temperature: 50*F to 90*F.
- Smooth Wood – 250-350 sq.ft./gal
- Rough Wood – 200-300 sq.ft./gal
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Resources – Call us
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Tech Data Sheet
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE MSDS Sheet
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Recommended Uses
• Cetol 1 RE may be used as the first and possible second coat for the Cetol 1 RE/Cetol 23 RE Plus system.
• Cetol 1 RE may also be used on its own as a three (3) coat system for specific purposes (i.e. boats, outdoor furniture and fences).
• Cetol 1 RE can be used on the following: Log Walls, Siding, Garage Doors, Outdoor Furniture, Trim, Windows, Fences, Entrance Doors, Log Homes.
• Cetol 1 RE should not be used on horizontal surfaces that may be walked on such as decks. Please check out Cetol SRD or Cetol DEK if you are in need of a premium Sikkens deck stain.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Key Features and Benefits
• Translucent Iron Oxide Pigments – Improved clarity and color retention; protection from graying.
• UV Absorbers – Added UV protection leads to less frequent maintenance.
• Microporous – Allows the wood to breathe, minimizing peeling and blistering.
• Translucent Film Forming Finish – Basecoat for the Cetol 1 and Cetol 23 Plus system which offers a rich look with a satin sheen.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Coverage Rate
• Coverage areas per coat for Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE as follows:
• On rough and weathered surfaces, 200 – 300 sq. ft./gallon.
• On smooth surfaces or hardwoods, 250 – 350 sq ft./gallon.
• Actual coverage may vary depending on the type, age and texture of the wood and application method.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Application Methods
• Long Haired Natural Bristle Brush.
• Roller – Back brush Immediately.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Dry Time
• Drying Time – 24 hours minimum at 68°F and 65% relative humidity. At temperatures below 50º F (10º C) or conditions of high humidity the drying time will be extended.
• Proluxe Cetol 1 RE dries to touch in approximately 6 hours.
• Dries to recoat in 24 hours, additional coat may increase these times
• Dries to light foot traffic after approximately 48 hours.
• Wait 7-10 days before using furniture.
• Low temperature, high humidity, thick films or poor ventilation will increase these times. Avoid heavy abrasions immediately following application.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Preparation Instructions
• All wood surfaces must be thoroughly clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew, mill glaze and previous coatings before applying Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Wood Finish. Recommended cleaners are HD80, Woodrich Cleaner & Brightener
• The best method to prepare vertical wood surfaces is to sand with 80-120 grit sandpaper. However, the following preparation may be used as an alternate to sanding.
1. Spray all wood surfaces with clean water, completely wetting the wood.
2. Generously apply a cleaning solution of four (4) ounces of 100% powdered Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP) or phosphate-free substitute with one (1) quart of liquid bleach and three (3) quarts of water to the wood surfaces with a garden sprayer or a heavy nap roller cover.
3. Let the solution dwell on the wood for 15-20 minutes as you scrub the surface with a hard bristle brush to help remove mill glaze or weathering. Do not allow solution to dry on the wood surface.
4. Power wash cleaning solution from the wood with plenty of clean fresh water using 500 psi with the nozzle 8-12 inches from the surface for full effectiveness of the cleaning and to prevent damage to the wood.
5. Allow the surface to dry for at least 48 hours, or to have a moisture content of 18% or less before finishing.
6. All horizontal surfaces must be sanded using 80 – 120 grit sandpaper. Always sand in the direction of the wood grain and remove sanding dust.
7. Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Wood Finish should be applied within one week of preparation for horizontal surfaces (decks) and within four weeks for vertical surfaces (siding), provided that the surface remains free of dirt, grease, grim and mildew.
Proluxe Sikkens Cetol 1 Special Notes:
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE is a low VOC film forming finish.
• New rough-sawn wood less than four weeks old should be dry-brushed with stiff bristles to remove loose dirt and fibers. If debris is still present, follow the preparation procedures.
• Weathered grey wood or wood affected with blue fungi or rust from nails may be treated after the surface preparation by applying a solution of four ounces of Woodrich Brightner in a gallon of warm water. This solution should be allowed to sit on the affected areas for 15-20 minutes before the final rinse with clean water. Let dry three days before coating.
• It is always recommended to perform a full system color test on a sample of the wood.
• Previous coatings must be removed prior to the application of the Cetol 1 RE and Cetol 23 RE System.
• Cetol 1 RE should always used as the first coat in any bare wood application.
• All systems consist of three (3) coats.
Previously Coated Wood – Previous stains, varnishes or sealers must be completely and thoroughly removed prior to application of Cetol 1 RE. After removal of previous coatings, clean and prepare surface as specified above.
New Wood – Clean and prepare all wood surfaces as specified above. Pressure treated wood must be properly seasoned, dry with a moisture content of 18% or less and free of salts and other water soluble materials before applying stain. Water- repellent treated lumber requires one year minimum of weathering prior to cleaning and application.
Weathered Uncoated Wood – Clean and prepare surface as specified above.
Exotic Hardwoods – Ipe, mahogany, iron wood, tiger wood and teak woods exhibit a dense cell structure which may reduce the ability of a coating to penetrate the wood surface. Clean and prepare all wood surfaces as specified above. Immediately prior to applying coating, wipe surface with acetone.
Checking Moisture Content Before Staining:
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE cannot be applied when the moisture content of the wood is over 18%.
• If applied on wood with over 18% moisture content, mold and mildew may grow beneath the finish which may cause peeling, cracking and failure over time.
• It is recommended to use a Moisture Meter to test the moisture content of your wood before starting your staining project. A good moisture meter can be purchased am most hardware or home improvement stores.
Caulking Cracks, Checks, and Gaps :
• Fill all joints, cracks and nail holes with a quality acrylic latex caulk/filler or textured caulk prior to applying Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Stain.
• Any cracks or checks that are upward facing which can hold water need to be sealed immediately to prevent any future rot or decay.
• Some larger cracks may need Closed Cell Backer Rod to help insulate and fill the space in ensure a proper seal.
• An annual inspection of all corners, butt joints, windows and doors is helpful in insulating and maintaining the life of your log home.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Application Information
• Test wood for absorbency by sprinkling water on the surface – if water is absorbed within 30 seconds – 2 minutes, depending on climate, the surface is ready for finishing. If water is not absorbed, wait 30 days and re-test.
• Before starting, test your color choice on a small area, applying all coats required.
• The Natural Light (996) color will weather faster than others. This color is not recommended for use on darker colored woods.
• Stir thoroughly before and periodically during application. Intermix all product together before starting to avoid color variance.
• Brushing is the preferred method of application, using a natural bristle brush, if applied by roller or airless sprayer, back brush immediately to ensure penetration and to avoid an uneven finish. For airless spray, use a .011”-.013” tip at 1200 – 1700 psi, adjust pressure as needed.
• Apply when the surface and air temperature is between 50° F (10° C) – 90° F (32° C).
• Do not apply in direct sunlight, if rain, snow, heavy dew or low temperatures below 40° F (4° C) are expected within 48 hours.
• Do not thin.
• After preparation, apply one even coat of Cetol 1 RE Wood Finish, avoiding heavy application.
• Allow to dry a minimum of 24 hours.
• Must be top coated with two coats of Cetol® 23 Plus RE Top Coat,
• The first coat must be thoroughly dry before application of the second coat. If possible, back prime with the first coat. During application, saturate all end grains, nail holes, cavities, and cracks in the wood.
• Brush on a liberal coat and maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks. Brush in the direction of the wood grain starting at one end of the board or log and continuing to the other end of the board or log.
• The first coat of any Cetol system should be applied from the bottom up to avoid drips which may streak the surface below. Follow with recommended maintenance procedures and schedule.
• Coat all end grains and the back of all boards if possible.
• Since outdoor furniture and fences are considered to be in a high moisture environment, two coats of Cetol 1 RE would be your best method of application.
Black spots or Tannin Bleeding: Woods that contain tannin acid such as redwood, red cedar, mahogany, douglass fir, etc. all contain tannin acid which tends to migrate to the surface and discolor the stain, especially noticeable when using white or light colors. The discoloration is not harmful and can usually be removed. Apply a wood brightener to one gallon of warm water using a garden sprayer or a heavy nap roller cover. Allow solution to dwell on surface for 20 minutes then thoroughly rise with clean water. DO NOT ALLOW solution to dry on wood surface.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Cleanup & Shelf Life
• Clean all tools immediately with mineral spirits.
• Clean spills right away with a damp cloth.
• Shelf Life: 7 years maximum – unopened or poured off into a metal can with little or no air
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Maintenance Instructions
• Proper maintenance starts with visual inspection.
• To maintain the products protective characteristics apply a maintenance coat, when visibly required or sheen appears dull and before wood starts to turn grey .
• Areas that show minimal wear should only be lightly coated. Hardwoods and lighter colors may require more frequent maintenance.
• A timeframe of 2 to 3 years on the south and west exposures and 3 to 4 years on the north and east exposures can be used as a general guideline.
• As weathering, exposure conditions, altitude, and applications can vary, maintenance may be needed sooner and should be performed when visually necessary, regardless of timeframe.
• To identify the changes caused by weathering, we recommend saving a coated board from your project and storing it indoors. This can be used to periodically compare to your exterior surface to determine when cleaning, maintenance or replacement are needed.
• Before application of a maintenance coat, prepare the surface using the previously mentioned TSP solution but reducing the solution to 2 ounces of 100% powdered Tri-Sodium Phosphate or phosphate-free substitute.
• Let the surface dry 3 days after power washing. Apply 1 coat of Sikkens Proluxe of Cetol 23 Plus or Cetol Maintenance RE.
• For outdoor furniture and fences, apply a maintenance coat of Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE every one to two years.
• An annual inspection of all new cracks/checks, corners, butt joints, windows and doors is helpful in maintaining the life of your log home.
• Fill any new cracks with a quality acrylic latex caulk.
• If Carpenter Bees are present and have drilled any new holes, it is best clean the area and seal the bee hole. Please check out our Carpenter Bee stain additives for preventive solutions.
• An annual cleaning of the structure with a house wash helps to prevent any accumulation of dirt, pollen, dust and airborne contaminates.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Application Tips
• Prepare your wood properly for stain and finish application. Mill glaze, the shiny surface created when lumber is planed, may keep coatings from penetrating.
• Intermix different batches/cans together to ensure color consistency.
• Apply when the surface and air temperature is between 50ºF and 95ºF (10ºC and 35ºC).
• Saturate all end grains, nail holes and cracks in the wood.
• Maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks.
• Apply in the direction of the wood grain using a long haired natural bristle brush.
• Stir well before using with a paint mixer . Do not shake if using product the same day.
• Back prime (if possible).
• Do not apply over previously coated surfaces. All previous coatings must be completely removed, except structures already coated with Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Log & Siding or Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 & 23 systems.
• Do not apply when the surface is hot to the touch.
• Do not apply when dew or frost is present or expected within five (5) hours.
• Do not apply in wet weather.
• Do not apply when moisture content of the wood is greater than 18%.
• Do not thin with any mineral spirits or paint thinner.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Shipping
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE can only be shipped ground and may not be shipped via air transit due to D.O.T. restrictions. Contact us to ship to a freight forwarder.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Exterior Stain Colors:
• Natural Oak (005), Dark Oak (009), Mahogany (045), Butternut (072), Cedar (077), Natural (078), Teak (085)