Sikkens Proluxe Primary 1 1 RE is a Penetrating Transparent Satin finish that is part of a unique system with 23 top coat Re for use on exterior logs, siding and other vertical wood surfaces. Its penetrating alkyd-oil formulation enhances wood grain with rich color and signature clarity. Available in seven popular wood tones. Now called PPG Proluxe 1 Primary coat
The Ultimate in Beauty and Protection. A penetrating transparent wood stain basecoat in a unique 3 coat system that provides excellent adhesion for premium protection and enhances the wood grain for signature clarity.
Preffered Online Sikkens – Top Proluxe Dealer
All colors in stock and ships same day 8-5 Est
PPG Primary Coat RE was previously know as Sikkens Cetol 1. Akzo Nobel (Manufacturer of Sikkens) sold their North American Architectural Coatings division to PPG.
Proluxe Primary 1 highlights
- Penetrating Alkyd-Oil Wood Stain Formula offers excellent adhesion penetration and adhesion
- High-transparency trans-oxide pigments amplify depth of color, clarity and substrate protection
- Provides a Mildew-Resistant Wood Stain Finish
- Base coat application in a 3-coat wood stain system with 23 Top Coat RE
- Powerful UV absorbers protect color and wood substrate
- Water repellent
- Excellent block resistance
- An alternative to Door & Window for additional color options
- An alternative to Log & Siding for additional color options
- Can also be used alone on fences and furniture as a two-coat system
- 1 coat can be used on decks
- Can be used on Garage doors, entrance doors and window trim
- Once desired color is achieved, the 3rd coat can be Cetol Maintenance
Wood peckers or insects? Add Walla Walla Bug juice to the stain.
Preparation Procedures for New, Weathered and Uncoated Wood:
The best method to prepare vertical wood surfaces is to sand with 80 – 120 grit sandpaper. However, the following preparation may be used as an alternate to sanding: Spray the surface with clean water, wetting the wood.
- Overall recommend cleaning the surface with a deck cleaner or stripper
- Apply this solution generously to the wood with a garden pump sprayer.
- Let the solution sit on the wood for 15 – 20 minutes.
- During this period, scrub the surface with a hard bristle brush to help remove mill glaze and/or weathering.
- Do not let the solution dry on the wood.
- Keep it wet as your are working. Do your best to work on the sides opposite of the sun.
- Power wash the cleaning solution from the wood with clean water.
To prevent damaging the wood, do not exceed 500 PSI. The nozzle must be a maximum of one (1) foot from the surface for full effectiveness. Let the surface dry for three (3) days before application (i.e. the moisture content is below 18%).
Weathered gray wood, or wood affected with blue fungi or rust from nails may be treated, after cleaning with Sasho CPR Log cleaner and Brightener. After treatment, allow surface to dry for three (3) days. Fill all joints, cracks, and nail holes with a high quality Conceal color matching caulk and let cure prior to applying the coating system. Refer to caulk/filler manufacturer for proper application.
Pervious log homes with the Sikkens Cetol system may need to be corn blasted to remove Sikkens film forming stain.
Application on hardwoods of Sikkens Proluxe Primary 1
- Wipe the surface with acetone immediately prior to application.
- Rough-sawn wood with less than four (4) weeks outside exposure should be dry brushed with a stiff bristle brush to remove loose dirt, fiber and debris. Follow standard preparation procedures if exposure has been longer than four (4) weeks or dirt and debris remain visible.
- New pressure treated lumber requires a six (6) week drying period prior to application.
- Water repellant treated lumber requires one (1) year of weathering prior to application.
- On previously coated wood, all old coatings must be completely removed before applying the first coat of any PPG Cetol system.
Pine, Spruce, Cedar and other logs & Sikkens Proluxe Primary 1
Standard Application Procedure: It is always recommended to perform a two (2) coat color and sheen test on a sample of the wood. Color can vary with application, porosity and type of wood. Intermix batches to ensure color consistency. After preparation apply three (3) coats of Cetol 1 23 system and allow thorough dry time (minimum 24 hours) between coats.
- If possible, back prime with the first coat. During application, saturate all end grains, nail holes, cavities, and cracks in the wood with Sashco Log Builder or Conceal color matching caulk to Sikkens Log and Siding colors.
- Brush on a liberal coat and maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks.
- Recommended natural bristle brush with a handle where a pole can be inserted for ease of use.
- Brush in the direction of the wood grain starting at one end of the board or log and continuing to the other end of the board or log.
- The first coat of any Cetol system should be applied from the bottom up to avoid drips which may streak on the surface below.
- Cetol Log & Siding is compatible over an existing Cetol 1 and Cetol 23 Plus system. Cetol Log & Siding needs UV light to cure properly.
- The side that gets the least sun – You can use Cetol Maintenance Clear
The absence of UV light will significantly slow the drying process.
Wood peckers and insects? Add Walla Walla Bug juice to the stain.
Proluxe Cetol® 1 23 Plus Log Application Procedure:
On Kiln-dried or Air Dried Logs, It is always recommended to perform a two (2) coat color and sheen test on a sample of the wood. Color can vary with application, porosity and type of wood. Generally, the moisture content of these logs is below 18%. However, some logs may have a moisture content higher than 18%. Therefore, it is recommended to apply Sikkens Log Pre-Treatment and then allow a six (6) month drying period before applying Cetol 1 23plus system. Finally, follow preparation procedure before applying first coat of Cetol 1.
During application, saturate all end grains, nail holes, cavities, and cracks in the wood. Brush on a liberal coat and maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks. Brush in the direction of the wood grain starting at one end of the board or log and continuing to the other end of the board or log.
Borate and the Sikkens system
Overall, the first coat of any Cetol system should be applied from the bottom up to avoid drips which may streak on the surface below. Green, Wet, or Treated Logs: It is always recommended to perform a three (3) coat color and sheen test on a sample of the wood. Color can vary with application, porosity and type of wood. These logs have a moisture content greater than 18%. Therefore, it is recommended to apply Sikkens Log Pre-Treatment and allow a one (1) year drying period before applying Cetol 1 23 plus. Follow preparation procedure before applying first coat of Cetol Primary 1.
Clean wood before using Proluxe system
Before application of a maintenance coat, prepare the surface using the previously mentioned cleaning solution but reduce the amount to two (2) ounces of 100% powdered Tri-Sodium Phosphate or phosphate-free substitute. Let the surface dry three (3) days after power washing. Apply one (1) coat of Cetol 1 Primary or Cetol Maintenance. Refer to the Cetol Maintenance Technical Data Sheet for specific guidelines on appropriate use.
Drying Time of Sikkens Proluxe Primary 1
- Generally dries to touch in approximately 12 hours.
- Dries to recoat in 24 hours additional coat may increase these times.
- Low temperature, high humidity, thick films or poor ventilation will increase these times.
- Avoid heavy abrasions immediately following application.
Coverage of Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1
- Overall on rough and weathered surfaces, Overall 200-300 sq ft/gallon (5-7 m2/L).
- On smooth surfaces or hardwoods, Overall 250-350 sq ft/gallon (6-9 m2/L).
- Actual coverage may vary depending on the type, age and texture of the wood and application method.
Cleanup of Sikkens Proluxe Primary 1
- Clean tools immediately with mineral spirits or paint thinner.
- Clean spills right away with a damp cloth
Shelf Life of Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE
PPG Primary 1 coat Re generally has a shelf life of 5 years. If opened a few months, unless it is poured into a metal container with little or no air in it. Then, It will last for up to a few years.
PPG Primary 1 Coat Re:
- SIK41005 NATURAL OAK 005
- SIK41009 DARK OAK 009
- SIK41045 MAHOGANY
- SIK41072 BUTTERNUT 072
- SIK41077 CEDAR 077
- SIK41078 NATURL 078
- SIK41085 TEAK 085